Sunday, April 11, 2010

BIKING 101 : GRAND SACONNEX - DIVONNE (FRANCE) - NYON (SWITZERLAND) - GRAND SACONNEX


View Larger Map

Last Saturday, my love one and I did a 50 plus km route. We rodeto Divonne (France) from our home, then headed out to Nyon and rode back to Geneva via the lakeside road.

GRAND SACONNEX - DIVONNE

We left home at 9.15 am. Weather was at its worse as usual around 6-7 degrees Celcius. The strong wind made it feels much colder. We rode at a leisure pace since we dont want to burn out all our energy taking into account there were many more km's to cover.

It was a smooth ride until we turned into a gravel road in a forest. My love one asked me, "Ni betul ke jalan ni, macam trail je?", I answered " Betul la ni. Ikut GPS ni ada jalan." My confidence in the modern technology was tested more than once as we rode deeper into the forest, not meeting any kind of traffic, except for a few campers and because of the fact that we were traveling on an unsurfaced road. The mystery was finally solved when we saw a road sign that depicted a horse. Damned! I thought to myself "Jalan kuda!". Checking my GPS, I told my love one that this will finally merged into a normal road. My love one remarked. "Mountain bike ok la jalan ni, roadbike boleh pecah tayar". Fortunately, nothing untowards happened.

After 5 km, we finally emerged from the forest and continued our way to Divonne, France.

We reached the Swiss and France border, took out our camera and captured the obligatory pose. Arrived in Divonne in high spirits and took our first break.


DIVONNE - NYON


Ride was smooth, with the occasional traffic. I have to say that probably the best thing about biking in Switzerland is that cyclist are given priority on the road by other vehicles. We dont have to constantly looked behind our backs since the others, will give a wide space when overtaking. And if they cant, there is no honking for us to get out of their way. They rather wait patiently behind my love one and me and will only overtake once the other side of the road was clear.

The route to Nyon was flat and straight all the way to and this is where we picked up some speed. We met a lot other cyclist, but compared to us, I think they are almost pros, unlike me and my love one, a newbie. They were really cool and flashed their smiles and nodded their head while some of the friendliest one shouted `Bonjour' greeting us.

We took a rest in Nyon and ate a banana and power bar each to boost our declining energy.

NYON - GRAND SACONNEX

This is the last leg of our 50 km ride, so we were a bit excited. There were a couple of steep hills along the way and we took it all in our stride. The good thing on this lakeside stretch was that there are special lane for bicycles. We could concentrate on our riding without that constant fear to watch our backs.

We arrived in Versoix and took our last break before heading home. We finished the 50.11 km ride in 2 hours and 21 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. wooo... makin meningkat prestasi nampaknya.. hehehe... hmm.. will join you in 2-3 months time.. insya'Allah.. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. TT: Eleh, tak yah tunggu 2-3 bulan la. sekarang pun buleh kalau nak join.

    ReplyDelete