Tuesday, June 1, 2010

BIKING 101 : HOW IT ALL STARTED - PART II

Arriving in Geneva, I continued to ride the GT MTB during weekends. I noticed that theres a lot of people cycling but most of them use road bikes which is of course much lighter and faster than the MTB.

Since I had achieved my target weight at 80 kg, I felt confident enough that I have the stamina to go riding for longer hours and distances. After months of scouting around for a good and affordable roadbike, I decided to buy a Colnago. No Ah Chai this time, (damn!) so I had to do a lot of research and talked to a lot of sales people at the bicycle shop (using a lot of body language and hand signs plus a lot of guessing since they dont speak a word of English and I dont know French at all!) .


HOW TO KNOW WHICH IS THE RIGHT ONE?

Roadbikes comes in different sizes and according to heights, theres the S, M, L sizes. Ladies requires a different bike frame because of the percentage of the woman's body proportions of longer leg length relative to torso length. Seriously. My love one had to shorten the handle joint a few times because of that. And thats how I knew.


The correct saddle positioned is very important and must be correctly positioned. Usually the people at the bicycle shop could do the adjustment or read the tips about this here (I am sure Ah Chai didnt know about this. Hmmm...).

SO A NEW ROADBIKE, SO WHAT?

With the new bike, I need these:-

i. Cycling Shoes - Paid CHF 167.00
ii. Cleats - Came with the shoes.
iii. Pedals - Pedals was not included with the bicycle. Bought a CHF 60.oo Shimano roadbike pedal.
iv. Cycling shorts with paddings - a must, or suffer the excruciating butt pains CHF 189.00
v. 1 long sleeves cycling jersey - Spring time, its cold. CHF 40.00 ++
vi. 1 short sleeves cycling jersey - for summer CHF 50 something I think.


Riding a roadbike was a totally different ballgame from the MTB. It took me a few days to be comfortable with the new riding style. I watched a lot of `how to ride a roadbike' videos easily available from You Tube. And read a lot of cycling blogs for cycling tips.

So there.

I am still new at this, okay (the cycling, not the blogging). If my facts are wrong, please dont be shy to point it out.

P/s: Mr Udinese. Pueh hati?

No comments:

Post a Comment